This page documents VTLUUG's infrastructure post-CVL eviction.
- 1 Physical Infrastructure
- 2 On the Network Architecture
- 3 Services
- 4 Website details
- 5 Addressing
- dirtycow - Primary NFS server, 8x2TB raidz2 array
- cyberdelia - Secondary NFS server, 7x1TB raidz2 array
- shellshock - Tertiary NFS server, 3x500GB array
All hosts are on our own 1 Gb/s port with joey, a gateway featuring ARP proxying, and full delegation of the 2607:b400:6:cc80/64 prefix.
Virginia Tech has started blocking inbound ports 22 and 3389 and outbound port 25 at the campus border, in a move echarlie is calling Cyber Auschwitz. Contact email@example.com for firewall exceptions. When deploying new hosts, make ssh listen on both 2222 and 22. Acidburn currently listens on 3128 as well.
- Wood is sitting in our rack turned off because we don't have a use for it currently. It is in a 4U case capable of fitting several GPUs.
- sunway and a SuperMicro server were all transferred to WUVT. Older hosts have either been thrown out or given to members.
See VTLUUG:Strategic_plan for things we plan to do in the future.
On the Network Architecture
We currently have some services with public IPv4 address, and all hosts have an internal IPv4 address on the 10.98.x.x/16 subnet and an IPv6 address assigned via SLAAC. In the future, VPN/Iodine should be used.
In theory, services can be provided via a hidden service such as Tor, but that introduces other complications. Alternately, services can require use of the VPN on acidburn, Iodine, or ssh tunnelling, although all of these limit usage to members with a shell account. All of these have the benefit of NAT transversal, however.
Further information: Category:Services
- Main Page
- Storage for all primary services
- NFS - ZFS pool name is cistern
- VM host for above services
acidburn and the website must be accessible through real services, and it is preferable other hosts are too. This means we must use our public IPv4 & IPv6 Addresses allotted by ECE.
All vtluug websites are run on nginx on sczi. These sites are currently functional:
- linx.vtluug.org and linx.li
- wiki.vtluug.org (redirects to vtluug.org/wiki/)
All of these sites exclusively allow for the use of TLS connections. All services use automatically updated letsencrypt certs.
The wiki currently runs fully on MediaWiki hosted on nginx using a modified version of the official mediawiki docker image. You can auth with the admin account, wiki-admin or a Google account. See note on Main_page about why LDAP isn't working yet.
Runs on the same Mediawiki instance as this wiki. Similarly to LUUGWiki, only Google accounts or the admin user are supported logins.
Uses aam's linx, and of the few sites with a complete startup script. The maintenance is currently the responsibility of
aam, however, this is subject to change, pending his retaining root access on sczi the club.
These are VTLUUG services that haven't yet been properly restored:
- foodfor.vtluug.org - For Wadsworth's .pickfood and .foodvote commands. This is jpo's fault.
- tahoe.vtluug.org - mhazinsk's Tahoe-LAFS grid
- git.vtluug.org - git hosting; previously a redirect to gitweb with gitosis as the SSH backend
- gitweb.vtluug.org - git hosting; previously gitweb
- map.vtluug.org - OSM based map of VT
See Dead_projects for historic information
See VTLUUG:Strategic_plan#Web_Services for future goals involving web services
VTLUUG currently has DNS with namecheap, however all domains have been re-registered with gandi under vtluug's own account, to replace the mixture of mutantmonkey-holdings and vtluug-held domains on multiple different registrars.
We currently hold the IPv6 prefix
2001:470:8:6d9::/64 from HE's allocation due to our tunnel.
When CNS finally sets up prefix-delegation, we might be able to get something from
which is VT's largest allocation.
This page describes specifics about VTLUUG's current network. For an overview, see Infrastructure:Networking
|ECE DNS||VTLUUG DNS||IPv4||Private Internal IPv4||IPv6|
|mirror.ece.vt.edu||N/A *Not sure if we can actually use this IP*||220.127.116.11||N/A||N/A|
|N/A||switch.private.vtluug.org (Internal v4 only)||N/A||10.98.0.2||N/A|
See Deprecated_Network for historical information.
- SLAAC on 2607:b400:0006:cc80::/64
- 10.98.0.0/16: internal NAT
- Static IPs: 10.98.0.0/24
- DHCP: 10.98.1.0 - 10.98.1.150
- Iodine: 10.98.10.0/24
- 18.104.22.168/22: publicly accessible hosts
All hosts have an internal address (static or DHCP) and some hosts also have a globally accessible address.
joey also functions as DNS server for internal hosts
CNS maintains a few DNS servers on campus
- yardbird.cns.vt.edu, 2001:468:c80:2101:0:100:0:22, 22.214.171.124
- jeru.cns.vt.edu, 2001:468:c80:4101:0:100:0:42, 126.96.36.199
- milo.cns.vt.edu, 2001:468:c80:6101:0:100:0:62, 188.8.131.52