Our seventh meeting of the 2016 Spring semester, and Officer Elections
Date, Time, and Location
- Thursday, 24 March
- 8:30pm - 10:30pm
- 1040 Torgersen Hall
- #VTLUUG: "No Rules, Just Right™"
- 2016 is the year of the Linux desktop
- For shell account, contact uncurlhalo
- Interest gauge for SouthEast LinuxFest 2016
Curriculum du jour
- Officer Elections
- This is a consequence of new club registration policies.
- Jacob Melton
- VP of not IT
- Marcus Wanners
- John Volk
- ackthet is giving the talk: Lambda Calculus for Babies. Retarded Babies.
- First in ackthet's 10-part talk on Xmonad, starting from the basics of haskell
- VTLUUG Wiki
- Wiki meeting page creation script -- this needs to happen so echarlie isn't doing it manually
- New Website?
- Infrastructure 2016
Lambda Calculus for Babies: Retarded Babies
Lambda Calculus forms the fundamentals of functional programming. If it can be described as a function, it can be described in the lambda calculus and consequently written in Haskell
- Variable name doesn't matter
Meat of Lambda calculus.
Allows for nested functions. Functions manipulate each input individually
(ƛx.x)2 (ƛ[x:=2]) x is bound to 2 2
(ƛz.zz)(ƛy.yy) (ƛ[z:=(ƛy.yy)].zz) (ƛy.yy)(ƛy.yy) (ƛy.yy) 1
Currying example: (ƛabc.cba)zz(ƛwv.w) (ƛa.(ƛb.(ƛc.cba)))(z)z(ƛw.(ƛv.w))) The first function only applies the first z (ƛb.(ƛc.cbz))z(ƛw.(ƛv.w)) Applies from the outer parenthesis in (ƛc.czz)(ƛw.(ƛv.w)) So c is applied last (ƛw.(ƛv.w))zz (ƛv.z)z z
(ƛx.ƛy.xyy)(ƛa.a)b (ƛy.(ƛa.a)yy)(b) (ƛa.a)bb bb
(ƛx.x)(ƛy.yy)(ƛz.zq) (ƛx.x) is the identity (ƛy.yy)(ƛz.zq) (ƛz.zq)(ƛz.zq) qq