From the Linux and Unix Users Group at Virginia Tech Wiki
TODO: Change name to "Class software"
This page includes information about both libre and non-libre software, rather than having it fragmented in a ton of separate pages across the wiki.
- Jarnal - Java based PDF annotator
- Okular - KDE Document viewer
- Xournal - GTK+ inking application
- GNURadio - "Provides signal processing blocks to implement software-defined radios and signal-processing systems."
- Used by the Hume Center for research
- LaTeX - Markup & typesetting system for producing high-quality documents
- Mono - Cross platform .NET compiler and runtime
- MonoDevelop GUI for Mono
- Pygments - Source code pretty-printer that outpus to many formats
- R - The programming language for statistics
- SPIM - MIPS R2000 & R3000 simulator for educational purposes
- VirtualBox - Virtualization software
- LibVirt - API for manaing virtual machines under QEMU, KVM, or XEN
- virt-manager is a GUI for libvirt
- Xmonad - Haskell based windows manager
- Ackthet's configuration
- BlueJ - Simple Java IDE
- Clang Complete - Popular Clang addon for vim
- Screen - Popular terminal multiplexer
- Tmux - Popular terminal multiplexer
- Xoscope - Oscilloscope program
- Xournal - Notetaking/Sketching/Journal App
- Qucs - "Quite Universal Circuit Simulator"
- QtOctave - GUI for Octave
|Software||License||WINE?||VM?||Native Linux?||Equivalent FOSS||Notes|
|MATLAB||Proprietary||Gold||Yes||Yes||QtOctave, FreeMat (stale?), Octave (console), Scilab (not syntax-compatible), Sage||Parallelize number crunching using the CVL|
|DyKnow||Proprietary||Garbage||Yes||No||Ubiquitous Presenter (Free for academic use), completely free version a work in progress||Contains malware.|
|Microsoft Visual C++||Proprietary||Garbage||Yes||No||GCC + GDB + Valgrind, KDevelop, eclipse-cdt|
|Microsoft Excel 2007||Proprietary||Gold||Yes||No||Gnumeric|| Absolute values ( such as "1" or "0") can not be used for constraints. Multiple cell ranges can not be manipulated at once, making Gnumeric unusable for transshipment problems and goal programming. Cell ranges can only be compared to ranges of equal length and width in constraints. Nonlinear programming is not yet possible.
Reports are dated in UTC.
|PSpice||Proprietary||Silver||Yes||No||Qucs||You can probably replace the Tront PSpice book with the Qucs workbook.|
|Zeitnitz Soundcard Oscilloscope||?||Gold||?||No||xoscope|
|PCLab||Proprietary||Bronze?||Kind of||No||none, if you want to use this hardware||bwr is supposedly working on a linux driver so that this 'scope might also work with xoscope|
|Xilinx tools (parts GPL'd)||??||Sometimes quirky||Yes||Use 9.x natively with libusb-driver.|
|WinCupl||Proprietary||Gold||Yes||No|| Needs MFC40.dll:
wget http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vc/mfc40.cab cabextract mfc40.cab wine mfc40.exe
|MS Visual C# + .NET||Proprietary||??||Yes||No||MonoDevelop + Mono|
|VMware products||Proprietary||No||...||Some||Virtualbox, QEMU||VMware's tools can generally be used to convert images between VMware and VirtualBox/QEMU formats.|
|Microsoft Project||Proprietary||Bronze||Yes||No||GNOME Planner||Planner lacks resource levelling or constraints|
|Autodesk Products||Proprietary||Garbage||Buggy||No||Success in Wine depends on the Autodesk product used and revisions of all software involved.|
|Microsoft Visio||Proprietary||Gold||Yes||No||Dia||Lots of add-ons for circuit shapes and logic for flowcharts|
|Microsoft Visual Studio||Proprietary||Garbage||Yes||No||gcc, eclipse-cdt||Compiling C++ in g++ is okay, but testing in a Visual Studio environment is recommended to make sure that the project will work correctly before turning it in.|
|Microsoft PowerPoint||Proprietary||?||Yes||No||LibreOffice Impress, Beamer||Some instructors may require PPTX files, but some may also accept PDF; your mileage will very depending upon your instructor.|
|Adobe Flash Player||Proprietary||?||Yes||Yes|
|Respondus LockDown Browser||Proprietary||No?||No||No||Integrates with Scholar, Canvas for testing; prevents access to other tabs, perhaps other apps (by blacklist), resists running in virtualized environments and some releases of Wine, must be run as administrator|
|DigiView||Proprietary||??||Yes||No||Integrates with Scholar, Canvas for testing; prevents access to other tabs, perhaps other apps (by blacklist), resists running in virtualized environments and some releases of Wine, must be run as administrator|